Saturday, May 31, 2008

Yup, I said it. I am constipated!

Although this is a bit personal, I don't care. I must share and those of you who know me well, probably aren't shocked that I would talk about this on the internet. Pregnancy has enlightened me with a new experience – constipation.


Typically, I am pretty "regular" and proud of it too.

Once a day, everyday. Yes!

Not when I am prego though. Ugh.


Supposedly, prenatal vitamins have more iron in them thus the clogging effect. Also, a pregnant lady's hormones are going insane and the body produces more progesterone which slows digestion.


WHATEVER. I miss my regularity. I feel gross and bloated otherwise. I have a few things that have helped me with this problem. Maybe the other new mommies or pregos can put in their two cents too!


Bran Muffins – this recipe I found on Epicurious.com and it is pretty good and simple to make. It is low calorie also! Woo hoo!


1 cup oat bran
2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon into a measuring cup and level top)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour (spoon into a measuring cup and level top)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup raw sugar crystals (such as Sugar in the Raw) or granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed up bananas
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°.

Lightly spray twelve 2 1/4 x 1 1/2-inch nonstick muffin cups with oil. 2. In a medium bowl, whisk the bran, flours, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, using a handheld eletric mixer set at high speed, beat the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce or banana, egg, oil and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using a spoon, stir just until combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake unti the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack.

Activia Yogurt – works well in smoothies or with some fresh fruit and granola.


"P" fruits – peaches, pears, prunes etc. I don't like prunes but bring on the peaches and pears!


Tons and tons of water – Seriously, drink a lot of water. Like at least 3 liters a day.


1 comment:

Michael said...

pears do it? I love pear and gorgonzola pizza.. so easy and yum. Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough, layer on the gorgonzola crumbles, cover the crumbles with a layer of overlapping pears (I usually use 2 D'anjou pears) and the top that with a coating of mixed white cheeses (I like the provolone/mozz. mix if I can find shredded provolne) - bake according to the dough directions for multiple toppings (usually about 18 minutes)

Also, blueberry anything just gets the pipes moving. :) Dyana (not mike... but I didn't want to log him out)